Monday, March 12, 2012

Strong Kenyan Women



We are at the beginning of our last week at Tenwek and it is hard to believe.   Betsy brought a newspaper and it was the first one we had read in a month!  Internet is sporadic enough that I often get frustrated trying to get the news and just give up.  But honestly, I can't say that I have missed the news, the TV, etc. It is rather calming to have a slower,  though hectic,  pace of life!  I would recommend mission trips to any and all of you.  God can use all kinds of skills and people in developing countries!

One of the more exciting things I did all day on Saturday was defrost the small refrigerator in the Nursery where they keep meds and "cows milk" for babies who transition off  formula to cows milk as they are ready to be discharged. (formula is too expensive for most families to purchase).   The ice had built up to such an extent that I thought the fridge would soon break down.  The mothers were fascinated as many of them had never seen ice let alone touched it!  We had a good laugh saying, "ice" and "cold"; enjoying new experiences!

One of the other fun experiences last week was celebrating International Women's Day in the Nursery!   I handed out Hershey almond kisses to celebrate women!  When I went to help Benaly,  the twins mom,  I noticed that she had not eaten the almond.  I asked why and found out that she was afraid to eat it as she had never had one before.  When we reassured her that it was OK she popped it into her  mouth and decided that it was good.   In fact she thought that it tasted like honey!   What a joy to see  her eyes pop out in delight.   I think I have said it before, but I continue to be so impressed with African women!   From my vantage point  in the nursery I see strong women who are  wonderful moms  to these tiny babies!  Benaly wants me (Nanya) to go home with her to Trans Mara so that I can care for the twins while she goes out into the fields to plant!  They are awfully cute; but I think I would miss my own grands way too much!:)

love to all,
micki and marv
nana and poppy

p.s.  Don't forget to check out "Asante" at betsy40.blogspot.com


1 Comments:

At March 14, 2012 at 7:30 PM , Blogger Michelle Zumbro said...

What a wonderful, blessed experience! Thank you for sharing through your beautifully written posts and pictures! We miss you in Wilmington, but know that your work is so important. The African women and the people who run the OB clinic sound amazing! Many blessings and prayers to you all!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home