Friday, March 2, 2012

Obstetrics 102



During the last two days, I have had the wonderful opportunity to listen to research proposals by the family medicine residents.   As a part of their education, they are required to design, execute, defend and publish a research project.
Today, I listened to a proposal that addresses perinatal morbidity and mortality in this region and the utility and function of referrals.   We make a lot of assumptions about the realities of geography, roads and means of transportation.  What is encouraging is the critical thinking that I see demonstrated by these residents who will have an impact in the care of women and children.
As you know, the obstetric referral in the United States is also difficult and key in either setting is communication.  I shared with them the work of nurses Carla Edwards and Betty Woodard on the improvement in communication between referring and referral hospitals.  Although there are many differences between the challenges of obstetric care there are common problems that we both face.  
I hope to continue to be available to support these young Kenyan physicians looking to improve the processes and outcomes of obstetric care.  

Marvin


Edwards C.  Woodard EK. SBAR for maternal transports: going the extra mile.
Nursing for Women's Health.  12(6):515-20, 2008 Dec.

1 Comments:

At March 8, 2012 at 7:39 AM , Blogger Lizzy said...

Oh man, I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during those presentations. I love that these questions and solutions are coming from Kenyans too- they know the difficulties of healthcare in Kenya better than anyone!

Uncle Marv, I want you to come and give a guest presentation at UM SPH sometime. I think you have a lot of great experiences to share.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home