Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Joys of Friendship

We had a refreshing night of sleep and loved hearing the patter of rain on the roof during the middle of the night.  Marv set off early for the hospital and I decided to unpack and to take it easy today as I am still trying to get rid of my cold. About 9 AM the phone rang and it was Helen , the young lady who helps around the guest house where we stay. She excitedly said, Sarah is here and she wants to see you! What an unexpected surprise and great way to begin my first day at Tenwek. Sarah is a woman whom we employed during our last trip here and who became a good friend to me.  Although I have often thought of her,  I have not corresponded or seen her in two years. I ran down the steps from our third floor apartment to greet her and the first thing she said to me was thank you for praying for my family as she gave me a bear hug! This took me aback as it would not have been the first thing I would have expected her to say nor would I have said it to her. How powerful it was though! I had prayed for her, probably not as often as I should have, but we had formed a strong bond and over the years I have remembered her in my thoughts and prayers. What a reminder that committing to pray for a friend is an awesome responsibility and a sacred trust. We reminisced for a few minutes before she had to get to work, but she wants to help me out a day a week which is terrific! 

I finished unpacking our 4 suitcases and putting the Nakumatt groceries away and then met Marv for lunch at the hospital "restaurant". On the way to the restaurant I had another surprise encounter.  I literally ran into my friend from the Neonatal Nursery, Karen Tonui.  She was on her way to work and we bumped into each other.  We have been emailing for the last couple of years, but it was still amazing to see her! I am going to go into the Nursery tomorrow.  She assures me that there is work for me to do!  I really hope so as getting involved is what makes these experiences meaningful. 

What a great day!  To reconnect with people who have been meaningful in your life is one of the greatest joys you can experience.

with love,
mom   (and dad)
micki and marv








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home